Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Fifty Nifty United States

I found this on Pinterest and really wanted something similar for our school room.


Source: theberry.com

So I set out to recreate it...at least somewhat. Managing the overall shape of the United States was easy enough, I printed a line picture from the internet, cut it out and traced the edges. Then I decided to free hand the states inside instead of cutting and tracing each individual state...


As you can see, that didn't work out so well. Particularly New England, which is full of teeny states with weird borders.

I set the map aside and figured I would reevaluate later. I'd seen another map that used scrapbook paper for the various states and thought I might combine the two ideas to finish the project.

Unfortunately, I didn't have scrapbook paper on hand (because I'm more of a digital scrapbooker) but I recalled the sticky sided foam we had from projects last year! In hindsight, scrapbook paper would have been easier because I could cut it with scissors!


By this point, my fingers hurt from using the hobby knife to cut a long the edges but I was over 50% done and not giving up now!


Still needs some finishing touches (like a frame) but I like the end result! And New England doesn't look like a hot mess anymore!

And for fun, a blast from the past (or mine anyway):

1 comment: